The NAMM show is one of the world’s largest gathering of musical instrument manufacturers in the world, held every January in Anaheim, California, USA, at the Anaheim Convention Center. The NAMM show showcases all of the new products from drum companies (as well as guitar, bass, and basically any musical product you can think of) from all over the world including DW, Sabian, Zildjian, Pearl, Tama, Ludwig, Soultone Cymbals, Gretsch Drums, Remo drum heads, Evans drum heads, Roland, Yamaha, Gibraltar, etc…
Sounds like heaven for a drummer right? That makes you want to go right? Well the NAMM show is not a trade show that you can just buy tickets to. It is a trade-only business show that only allows domestic and international dealers and distributors to buy passes. You can expect to see some extremely high profile musicians at the show, many times sponsored artists of each company will host clinics to demonstrate the new products.
If you ever have a chance to attend NAMM I highly suggest going. I was able to attend last year and it was an incredible experience. You can see some of the highlights of my trip checking out these blog posts:
- Highlights from NAMM 2012
- Pictures and Videos of SJC Custom Drums at NAMM 2012
- Pictures and Videos of Truth Custom Drums at NAMM 2012
With NAMM right around the corner, you should expect to be seeing lots of new drum products hit the market very soon. For those of you who want to get some play by play updates from NAMM, I suggest you start following these drum companies. For some of these companies, it is their first year at NAMM. Others have proven themselves over the years by bringing NAMM some of the most creative and innovative custom drums.
Drum Companies at NAMM 2013:
– Booth# 2469 [Hall D] This is the first year for AJP to attend NAMM. Founded by CEO Nestor Praniuk, these guys are becoming well known for the exotic veneers and wood finishes they put on their drums. Hailing from Cleveland, TN, next door to the largest importer of drum hardware and parts in the U.S., they seem to be here to stay for a while.
AJP Drums on Instagram
– Booth # 2268 [Hall D] If you haven’t heard of the father and son duo that goes by the name C&C, you need to crawl out of the rock you’ve been hiding under! These guys have one of the most interesting and intriguing stories of their start. What started as a small custom drum line for their music store turned into an internationally known brand that is popular for the vintage qualities that they bring to their custom line of drums. I wouldn’t be surprised if you start seeing the Player Date I and Player Date II in your local drum shop soon! Follow them on Instagram for a lesson on how to take classy Instagram photos.
– Booth #3065 [Hall D] Craviotto drums are most known for being made out of a single ply of high-quality wood bent with steam to create the drum shell. Craviotto has made steam bent shells a high-end product. These drums look and sound beautiful. You can really tell that they are made with lots of attention to detail. A 14×6.5 snare drum sales for over $1000 online, and a 4 piece drum set goes for over $8000 online. I doubt many of us will ever be able to own one of these drums but do check them out if you have the opportunity.
– Booth #3374 [Hall D] Eric Soy, who you may know from Drum Foundry, has created this beautifully crafted line of snare drums that offer many different shell material combinations. Dynamicx drums feature proprietary lugs, throw-offs, hoop lugs that you can’t find anywhere else.
– Booth #3064 [Hall D]
Kurt Waltrip is bringing back the original meaning to “Made in the USA”. His drums feature elements that are crafted by artisans in the U.S. Joyful Noise Drum Company even donates a portion of drum sales to local and international charities and ministries that help serve the needs of children. The guys at Joyful Noise have created some of the most beautiful sounding drums I’ve heard. Give them a look! Also, check out the Memphis Drum Shop where they have some of these babies for sale!
– Booth #3070 [Hall D] Winner of the 2012 Drummie Award for “Favorite Custom Drum Builder”, reality TV Stars, and all around amazingly innovative custom drum company. Mike and his brother Scott started making drums in their grandma’s basement, and now they are one of the most recognized custom drum brands in the world. You won’t want to miss a single thing from these guys!
Follow them on Instagram!